2019 Coming Events

MOOSEHEAD HISTORICAL SOCIETY & MUSEUMS

Museum Hours Open

EVELETH-CRAFTS SHERIDAN HISTORICAL HOUSE: Tours late June – September

THE CARRIAGE HOUSE: Tues. – Fri. 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. year-round

LUMBERMEN’S MUSEUM open year-round

MOOSEHEAD’S OUTDOOR HERITAGE EXHIBITION

444 Pritham Ave., Greenville Junction

________ . ________

THE CENTER FOR MOOSEHEAD HISTORY & THE AVIATION MUSEUM

Thurs.-Sat. 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. late June – September

6 Lakeview St., Greenville Village

JULY

Wed. July 3

at Shaw Public Library – 6:00 p.m.

Program and book signing: THE FORKS OF THE KENNEBEC by Marilyn Sterling-Gondek

The Men Behind the 1836 Moosehead

The Moosehead area’s earliest logging operations were economically and culturally tied to The Forks, where logs sluiced from East Outlet of Moosehead Lake tumbled their way down the East Branch to the junction of the Dead and Kennebec rivers.  In the Forks of the Kennebec, author and historian Marilyn Sterling-Gondek has gathered details about the first steamboat on Moosehead Lake, and about the men who pioneered early efforts at large-scale logging in the region.  The steamboat Moosehead was put into service in 1836 by a group of men that included Moses Burnham and Samuel Fitzgerald.  It was for them that the two ponds at the foot of Squaw (now Big Moose) Mountain were named.

 Wed.-Fri. July 24, 25, 26  

THOREAU-WABANAKI FESTIVAL, at Center for Moosehead History

http://ThoreauWabanakiTrail.org

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements